You are reading

Juvenile Offender Pleads Guilty To Murder, Faces 14 Years To Life

gavel3

Dec. 21, 2015 Staff Report

He was 15 years old when he strangled a woman to death in Astoria. Nearly seven years later, at the age of 22, Corona resident Jose Martinez now faces 14 years to life in prison for his crime.

Martinez pleaded guilty Friday to killing 23-year-old Carmen Saldana on July 12, 2009, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Martinez, who was riding his bicycle that day, encountered the woman on the street and started talking to her.

He followed her home and once inside the Astoria apartment she shared with her mother, the two argued and a physical altercation ensued.

Martinez then wrapped his hands around the victim’s neck and choked her to death.

“This was a brutal murder – made all the more horrible because the defendant was just 15 at the time. A young woman’s life was senselessly cut short and the defendant, now an adult, will face a lengthy term behind bars when sentenced next month,” Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Martinez was apprehended as a result of a DNA hit following a 2012 conviction for attacking a cab driver at LaGuardia Airport. That sample was matched to DNA found at the crime scene.

After this DNA hit, investigators were concerned that Martinez was misrepresenting his age for a lighter, juvenile sentence, according to published reports from the time. However, the Queens DA’s office said Monday that Martinez had been able to produce legal documents proving his birth date as Sept. 24, 1993.

Martinez will be sentenced on Jan. 27. Judge Gregory Lasak has indicated that he will sentence Martinez to 14 years to life in prison as a juvenile offender, according to Brown.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.