You are reading

City to Move More than 60 Women Out of Long Island City Hotel, Used as Temporary Shelter

LIC Plaza Hotel, located at 40-40 27th St. (Google Maps)

Sept. 11, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The city will move dozens of homeless New Yorkers out of a Long Island City hotel where they have been staying during the pandemic.

The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) will move the roughly 60 to 70 women experiencing homelessness out of the LIC Plaza Hotel, at 40-40 27th St., and into a shelter beginning this weekend.

The agency had moved the women out of congregate homeless shelters — where several people sleep in one room — and into the hotel at the start of the pandemic.

The women are among thousands of homeless New Yorkers that DHS moved out of the dormitory-style shelters and into 60 commercial hotels throughout the city in an effort to control of the spread of the coronavirus at the shelters.

The women will be moved into non-congregate shelters, where individuals have their own rooms instead of sharing a dormitory-style room, a DHS spokesperson said. The locations have not been disclosed.

“Our priority is being able to preserve social distancing for all clients and continue to implement the protections from COVID that have helped us prevent the spread of the virus and flatten our pandemic curve over the past nearly six months,” DHS spokesperson Isaac McGinn said.

In addition to the women currently housed at the LIC Plaza Hotel, DHS will move 300 homeless men from an Upper West Side hotel called the Lucerne, the New York Times reported.

The housing of homeless individuals at the hotel in the wealthy Manhattan neighborhood caused an uproar from neighbors — some of whom threatened a lawsuit against the city for it.

Mayor Bill de Blasio visited the Upper West Side hotel himself and subsequently requested DHS move the men out of the hotel.

“I went and saw for myself the Upper West Side last week, and what I saw was not acceptable and had to be addressed because the idea is to always try and balance the need to serve homeless folks with the need for a community to continue to go about its life,” he said at a press briefing.

De Blasio also said he heard complaints about the homeless at the LIC Plaza Hotel from residents of the nearby Queensbridge Houses when he visited Long Island City in recent months.

However, the mayor and DHS maintained that the use of hotels was always a temporary means to combat COVID.

De Blasio said it was time to reevaluate the use of hotels now that the height of the pandemic has passed and people could be moved back into traditional shelters.

“It was time to ask a question, could we safely go back? It turns out there is substantial capacity in our shelter system allowing us to do this safely,” he said Wednesday.

DHS determined that it had sufficient shelter capacity to move some individuals out of hotels, according to the spokesperson.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
AstoriaGal

Can’t anything more be done to help these women find stability? The city just seems to kick the can from one side to another, not even down the road. These people need help – being shifted from one place to another is stressful already. And during a pandemic it’s shameful. We pay enough in city and state taxes – help these people with training, mental health counseling, a place to really live, get them on their feet. Give them the support they need, not just move them from one shelter to another.

2
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.