You are reading

Citi Bike to expand into Astoria sometime next year, according to Community Board

Citi Bike expanded into LIC in 2015

Citi Bike expanded into LIC in 2015

Sept. 26, 2016 By Hannah Wulkan

Citi Bike will be rolling in to Astoria sometime next year.

Community Board 1 announced on Twitter and Facebook that Citi Bike will be coming to the district following a meeting it had with the Department of Transportation earlier today.

Though the discussions are still in the preliminary stages, the goal is for Citi Bike to be installed in 50 to 60 locations throughout Astoria with 25 bikes at each station sometime in 2017, said CB1 District Manager Florence Koulouris.

Community Board 1 and the DOT will be hosting two town hall meetings for residents to discuss the placement of the Citi Bike docking stations, though the dates have not yet been announced.

“Community Board 1 wants all members of the board district to be aware of this and participate, and we don’t want to feel that anyone is being left out of the process, because it is important that all residents share information and participate,” Koulouris said.

She added that it is very important for residents to share their opinions during the process, so that residents are happy with the placement of the bike stations around the community.

The installation of Citi Bikes in the community would come more than three years after State Senator Mike Gianaris said that the bike share program would eventually expand its reach in to Astoria.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

8 Comments

Click for Comments
joey_astoriani

Perhaps with citibike, some of your neighbors will realize that they don’t need to own a car and you will still get to have your precious parking spot.

joey_astoriani

Can’t wait!
This is going to keep at least one more person off of the overcrowded subway (me).

SAUL GAHBIDGE

Honest question here – why don’t you own a bike? You’re going to pay more in the long run, renting a bike. Unless the Citi Bike station is right outside your apartment and right outside your job, it won’t necessarily be all that convenient. I guess people just love Citi Corp. Support the big banks, I guess.

Jon

I use it in Manhattan.

I take the train to work but once I’m there I can jump on a bike to go a meeting in another building and then leave the bike and take the train home.

In this case, people can bike to work, leave the bike at the Citi Bike station and take the train home (if they want to) or bike back home.

joey_astoriani

I actually do own a bike and use it frequently for an Astoria->Upper West Side commute but sometimes I leave my car in one or the other location and have to take the subway to return.

In Manhattan I have a choice of several citibike stations within a couple of blocks. In Astoria, I expect to have one nearby as I am near one of the area’s bigger attractions (MMI).

For the price of a monthly metrocard I would have a year’s worth of riding.

This is going to be great for Astoria, I just hope they create enough stations and keep them filled – stations in Manhattan and Brooklyn tend to empty quickly for the morning commute.

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.