You are reading

Two former Cipriani employees open Italian restaurant in Astoria

VITE Vinosteria

July 14, 2014 By Michael Florio

Two long-serving Cipriani employees have opened a restaurant of their own in Astoria.

VITE Vinosteria, a new Italian restaurant and wine bar located at 31-05 34th Street, opened last week and is offering home-style dishes as well as wine imported from Italy at affordable prices.

The menu consists of many freshly made Italian dishes. Both the whole wheat pasta, and handmade ravioli with ricotta cheese and olives will be made from scratch on location, according to co-owner Dino Uras, who was the general manager at Cipriani for the past 12 years.

Uras has been working on the menu for a while and said the whole wheat pasta with lamb ragu, a specialty from the Abruzzo region of central Italy, will certainly stand out to customers.

“It is phenomenal,” Uras said.

Other entrees include Entrana alla Griglis, a grilled skirt steak with roasted potatoes and Bucatini alla Grigia, which is hollow spaghetti with zesty bacon, pecorino and black pepper.

It also serves pizza, starting at $10.

The wine bar features 10 white wines and a dozen red wines, all imported from Italy. The most expensive glass of wine cost $7.95, which is a part of Uras’ business plan.

“We want to offer great food and wine at very affordable prices,” he said. “We believe to reach out to a young crowd in the neighborhood we have to offer quality at a reasonable price.”

Uras, who is from Italy, has lived in Astoria for five years and his partner, Carmelo Bennici, has lived there for the past 12 years. Bennice worked in Cipriani’s kitchen for 12 years.

Uras, who is a fan of the neighborhood, said it is lacking a place where customers can just go in, have a nice glass of wine and relax, at an affordable price.

“We want to offer that to the community,” he said.

This is the first restaurant the two have opened.

Bennici will work in the kitchen at the restaurant.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.