You are reading

MTA: N/Q To Get Visual Train Status Updates, With Countdown Clocks Ultimately Planned

ntrain-475x316Oct. 21, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge

Although the N/Q line may have years to wait on countdown clocks for its platforms, it will receive more basic train information screens by 2016, according to the MTA.

MTA spokesperson Kevin Ortiz said that screens will be installed by the end of next year to tell passengers when trains are approaching in terms of the number of stops.

Although they use the same hardware, these screens will differ from countdown clocks because they will not provide time-based information or identify trains by letter.

Ortiz said they provide a “stopgap measure” until the arrival of countdown clocks, which are planned as part of the MTA’s 2015-2019 Capital Program.

Governor Andrew Cuomo, Mayor Bill de Blasio and MTA Tom Prendergast announced earlier this month that they had reached a funding agreement for the Capital Program, totaling $26.1 billion.

However, it may be years before Astoria straphangers see the results; the details and timeline of the Capital Program are still in flux.

Gianaris

Gianaris

Ortiz said the plan will be finalized “in the coming weeks.”

State Sen. Gianaris said he was “pleased” with the planned upgrades.

“There is a continuous need for service improvements and I hope this is a sign of things to come for Astoria and other rapidly developing western Queens neighborhoods,” he said in a statement.

Reach reporter Jackie Strawbridge at jackie.strawbridge@queenspost.com

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Alex Tikas

So by 2019 — translation : By 2025

They can barely keep the Ditmars corridor free from heroin addicts and piles of trash, but yep folks those train clocks are coming. Standby.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.