You are reading

Man charged for attempted rape after attacking Astoria woman in elevator

Elvis McKenzie

June 9, 2014 By Christian Murray

A Flushing man has been arrested and charged with attempted rape for allegedly attacking a woman in the elevator of her Astoria apartment building last week.

Elvis McKenzie, 27, was arraigned Monday on charges of first-degree attempted rape stemming from the attack, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

According to the complaint, McKenzie followed the victim into her  building (located near 8th Street and 27th Avenue) on June 2nd around 11:30 pm and then went on to attack her.

McKenzie began choking and punching the woman in the face, according to the complaint.  He then exposed himself and attempted to pull down her pants. When the elevator doors opened on a floor, the woman allegedly managed to use her leg to prevent the doors from closing and began screaming for help. McKenzie then fled.

Richard A. Brown, the Queens District Attorney, said in a statement: “The defendant is accused of following his victim like a predator and waiting until she was isolated and trapped inside an elevator before attempting to sexually assault her. The offenses that the defendant is charged with committing are crimes of violence that pose a serious threat to public safety and as such warrant punishment by a lengthy prison term.”

McKenzie is charged with first-degree attempted rape, assault and criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation, Brown said.

He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.