You are reading

City Reopens Charybdis Playground in Astoria Park Following Major Upgrade

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards and former Councilmember Costa Constantinides join local leaders to reopen Charybdis Playground in Astoria Park last week. (Photo courtesy NYC Parks/Daniel Avila)

Sept. 28, 2021 By Christian Murray

City officials held a ribbon cutting event at a children’s playground in Astoria Park last week to mark the completion of a $30 million revamp of the 60-acre park.

The officials held the event at Charybdis Playground, where the city has just completed a $12.5 million overhaul of the children’s play area—located inside Astoria Park—that includes new equipment and a spray shower. The city is also revamping the comfort station at the playground that is expected to be completed this winter.

“We’re delighted to celebrate the tremendous transformation of Charybdis Playground, one of Astoria’s most cherished greenspaces,” said NYC Parks Acting Commissioner Nelson last Wednesday. “With new play equipment and an interactive spray play area that incorporates a piece of this historic park’s past, Charybdis Playground is better equipped to serve Astoria for generations to come.”

Elected officials held a ribbon cutting event last Wednesday to celebrate the reopening of Charybdis Playground in Astoria Park (Photo courtesy NYC Parks/Daniel Avila)

The reconstruction of Charybdis Playground represents the second phase of a $30 million project to upgrade Astoria Park. The first phase was completed in October 2019 and included a new, 8-lane track that surrounds a brand new synthetic soccer turf.

The $30 million revamp was part of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Anchor Park Initiative that was launched in August 2016. Under the program, $150 million was allocated to improve five large parks—one in each borough. The parks were selected based on historical underinvestment, high surrounding population, and potential for park development.

“Having access to first-class parks and recreational facilities is important to the families of Queens and I am glad to see the ongoing major upgrade to our borough’s park system,” said Queens Borough President Donovan Richards.

Phase 1 of the Astoria Park overhaul that was completed in October 2019 includes an 8-lane track (NYC Parks)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
Pat Macnamara

Moderator loves Costa-never a bad word can be said. 12.5 millions for a new playground and no one questions it

Reply
Anonymous

Won’t be taking my kids to Astoria Park anymore. Anti-socials smoking weed everywhere no regard to kids.

8
7
Reply
Anon

I had to laugh at this comment. News flash… it’s everywhere! But you keep your kiddos in the bubble. When you walk to the store with them and someone passes by, it’s there. When a car drives by and you smell it, it’s there. It’s not just the parks.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.