You are reading

Woodside on the Move Faces Big Cuts as City Looks to Slash Budget

WOTM Executive Director Michael Vaz and Board Members (Facebook)

May 5, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Woodside on the Move, a non-profit organization that has served western Queens for decades, faces significant budget cuts that threaten much of its programming.

Each year the group provides thousands of residents with essential services in areas like housing and immigration, and also offers after-school programming for hundreds of kids.

WOTM expects a large portion of its $696,000 annual discretionary budget to be slashed as City Council Members deal with a drastically reduced budget starting July, according to WOTM Executive Director Michael Vaz.

The likely cuts follow the mayor’s announcement last month that he is shaving $2.7 billion from the city’s budget for the fiscal year 2021 – that goes from July 1 through June 30, 2021 – given the lost tax revenue with the COVID-19 shutdown.

Among the programs that may be affected by the cuts is the group’s housing program which goes to helping tenants with affordable housing, landlord/tenant mediation, and other housing-related issues.

Last year the program served 4,187 families – a 5 percent jump in the number of people who used the service in 2018, Vaz said.

However, around two-thirds of the program’s $280,000 budget is now on the line. The group also provides immigration advice and information on immigration matters under its housing program.

WOTM provides after school programming for children in kindergarten up to sixth grade at four different schools: PS11, PS152, PS151, PS361. Vaz believes that spaces at two of these schools – PS11 and PS152 – could be terminated. He estimates a total of 150 slots could be lost.

One of the group’s staple youth programs has already suffered a big blow.

WOTM’s popular children’s summer camp, which runs for about six weeks between July and August every year and caters to around 700 families, has already been canceled.

The Department of Youth and Community Development which funds the camps told WOTM that the camps will not go ahead this summer due to health and safety concerns surrounding the coronavirus, according to Vaz.

However, Vaz believes that budget cuts may have been a factor in the decision to cancel the camps. The camps cost between $300,000 – $400,000 to run each year, he said.

The camps employ about 80 part-time workers who will now be out of a job, Vaz said.

Vaz said that the cancellation of the camps will place a tremendous burden on families.

“This will have a domino effect on the community because now our kids are not engaged in anything this summer and it puts an additional hardship on parents and families,” he said.

He is appealing for city council members to stop further cuts to its programming as it would have a devastating impact on the community and people who rely on these services.

“We understand that certain sacrifices have to be made but we do not want these sacrifices to come at the expense of our youth and families,” he said.

Woodside on the Move Summer 2019

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.

Woman sought for slashing cabbie during a robbery near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

Police are searching for a woman who attacked a cab driver in East Elmhurst during a robbery more than two weeks ago.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday, Feb. 11 after the cabbie picked up the suspect in Manhattan. The driver told investigators that the woman initially wanted to be taken to LaGuardia Airport but instead decided to be dropped off  nearby in front of 89-00 23rd Ave. at around 2 a.m.