You are reading

Trailers at Astoria School to be Removed, Replaced By 476-Seat Annex

P.S. 85. Construction on a new annex is set to begin in 2020. (Wikimedia)

April 25, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

An all new state-of-the-art learning annex will replace the beaten-up classroom trailers at Astoria’s P.S. 85.

Council Member Costa Constantinides, educators and community leaders were joined by parents today at the 23-70 31st Street school to announce the plans for the new building. The annex will seat 476 students and is expected to ease overcrowding. The school currently operates at 140 percent capacity. 

The trailers at P.S. 85 are the last temporary classrooms in Council District 22 to be replaced following a pledge from Constantinides to enhance school facilities across the district. More than 100 pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students at P.S. 85 use the trailer classrooms, which have been known to have issues with heating and cooling, and lack proper classroom technology.

“No longer will any child in this Council District have to shiver through a math lesson with his or her coat on, or suffer through hot temperatures in one of these trailers,” Constantinides said.

“Thanks to our partnership with the Department of Education, the School Construction Authority, and dedicated parents we can construct a new building that better serves the students of P.S. 85. We have been committed to removing these trailers from schools within our Council District, and I can proudly say today that our goal will be accomplished.”

The project is currently in the design phase with construction expected to start in 2020.

Philip Composto, Superintendent of School District 30, praised the new building as an opportunity to better equip Astoria students for a wide range of educational fields.

“This new building will provide our children space for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics, which allows us to prepare our children for the 21st Century,” Composto said.

In addition to the new annex, a new gymnasium-auditorium will be built, which will replace the existing facilities.

Constantinides, who took office in 2014, has placed a heavy focus on improving school facilities. In 2017, he announced that a modular building at P.S. 2 in East Elmhurst will be replaced with a permanent facility. And earlier in the year, it was announced that 11 trailers at P.S. 151 in Woodside would also close.

Council Member Costa Constantinides announces that a new 476-seat annex will be built at P.S. 85 (Photo: Constantinides)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

6 Comments

Click for Comments 
Caring parents

The truth is the kids will still have no AC during either way in the building.

Reply
Eleni marzukis

How about zoning schools for local residents and not taking in students from all over because of a doctored up phony lease from staples with an address coming back to a storefront or vacant lot . Yes dumb and dumber leading the way! How much is the contractor lining your pockets ??

11
5
Reply
Eliza

Great news! My son is currently in one of these trailers. It’s so beat up the bathroom door doesn’t even close. I hope the new building doesn’t reduce the size of the playground, though. They have one of the best playgrounds!

5
13
Reply
Irate

Once his son started attending this school that’s when changes happened. Parent association tried for years to get things done but I guess it takes a local council member to make the changes happen. The school is still shit, the teachers are nasty to the students. I sat in on a couple of classes and unless your G and T, the teachers just don’t give a crap about you. The principle is also a joke… ask her at random what a child’s name is and she won’t know!

14
6
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.