You are reading

Strand Smokehouse reopens, owner says business is good as ever

Earlier this month

May 30, 2014 By Michael Florio

A prominent Astoria restaurant has finally reopened after a long battle with the health department.

The Strand Smokehouse, located at 25-27 Broadway, reopened on May 22nd, after it was closed for three weeks by the health department after its owner, Tommy Vasilis, refused to let an inspector into his eatery Bakeway NYC, which is located three stores down at 25-21 Broadway.

According to Vasilis, the inspector turned up to examine The Strand Smokehouse and asked to speak to the owner. When an employee went to get him from Bakeway NYC, the inspector followed him and wanted to review both locations, as one entity.

“He had no right to go into Bakeway,” said Vasilis. “It was inspected a week prior and it is a separate entity.”

Vasilis, who is no fan of the health department grading system, said that he also didn’t want to risk getting a lower grade.

Vasilis told the inspector to get out of his store and when he wouldn’t leave he took his suitcase and placed it outside.

The case went to court and it was ruled that Vasilis had to shut down The Strand, Bakeway NYC and another Bakeway he owns on 30th Ave for 20 days. It was a second offense of this type, since a similar incident occurred in 2011.

Vasilis said he told the health department that he didn’t want his establishments to close since his employees would suffer. Instead, he asked for a grace period of three months so he could sell his businesses and leave New York.

“They have taken the fun out of my business,” he said. “I’m 42, I’m ready to retire and leave New York.”

Vasilis said his request was denied as the health department wanted to “teach him to learn to respect them.”

The shutdown may have hurt Vasilis during those 3 weeks, but since he has reopened business has been brisk, he said. The Strand Smokehouse had a record-breaking weekend, according to Vasilis, bringing in around 3,500 customers. Meanwhile his Bakeway stores are doing well too he said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Ceecee

What kind of loser wants to retire at 42. I don’t care how much money you have

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.