April 22, 2020 By Allie Griffin
The annual Macy’s 4th of July fireworks show will go on this year despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.
“One way or another, the show will go on,” he said at his daily briefing. “One way or another we’re going to celebrate the 4th of July in a very special way in New York City.”
The details of how and where the fireworks will be shot off have not yet been established however.
“There’s definitely going to be fireworks,” de Blasio said. “How we do them, where we do them, how we do it in a way that’s safe and keeps New Yorkers healthy — a lot of questions that we have to answer between now and then.”
The fireworks were sent off from the Brooklyn Bridge and surrounding barges last year, but had been lit from barges off Hunters Point South Park the four years prior.
When Macy’s used Hunters Point South Park as its base, more than 60,000 people turned out on the Long Island City waterfront to view them.
De Blasio said the celebration will be different than previous years, noting that many New Yorkers can watch the fireworks from their fire escapes, roofs and windows.
He said the show must be done in a way that’s smart and safe.
“This is a day we cannot miss, this is a celebration that has to happen, because it’s about our nation and it’s about all we stand for as Americans and New Yorkers and it’s a symbol of our strength and resilience — but we’re gonna do it a smart way,” de Blasio said.