You are reading

Ridgewood Man Found Guilty of Threatening to Kill AOC and Schumer, Faces up to 10 Years in Jail

A screenshot of Brendan Hunt from his YouTube channel “xrayultra”

April 29, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A federal jury convicted a Ridgewood man Wednesday for making online threats to kill Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Sen. Chuck Schumer and other leading Democrats.

Brendan Hunt, 37, was found guilty in Brooklyn federal court after he called for the death and public executions of Ocasio-Cortez, Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a series of online posts and videos he made in December and January.

He also demanded his online followers take up arms and violently overthrow the federal government in the wake of the 2020 U.S. presidential election, which he claimed was “rigged.”

“Get your guns, show up to D.C., and literally just spray these m—–f—–s . . . put some bullets in their f——g heads,”  he said in a video posted online. “If anybody has a gun, give me it, I’ll go there myself and shoot them and kill them.”

Hunt, who pleaded not guilty, defended his actions by telling the jury that he didn’t think anyone would take his rants seriously and also blamed some of his rhetoric on drug use.

His attorney argued that the charges were overblown and that Hunt’s posts were protected speech.

The jury, however, did not buy it — and sided with the prosecution, who said the threats made were very real.

Hunt made a series of social media posts between Dec. 6 and Jan. 8 where he labeled Ocasio-Cortez, Pelosi and Schumer as “high-value target[s],” according to the criminal complaint.

“They really need to be put down,” Hunt posted. “These commies will see death before they see us surrender.”

He also called on former President Donald Trump to hold public executions of the congress members in another post.

“If you don’t do it, the citizenry will,” Hunt wrote. “Start up the firing squads, mow down these commies, and let’s take America back.”

One of the videos he filmed was titled “Kill Your Senators,” which he posted two days after violent rioters stormed the Capitol building in Washington D.C. Hunt claimed he had been drinking and smoking weed when he posted it, according to CBS News. He did not attend the riot on Jan. 6.

In the video, Hunt encouraged viewers to storm the Capitol a second time — but with guns. He suggested killing legislators during the inauguration of President Joe Biden.

“[W]e need to go back to the U.S. Capitol when all of the Senators and a lot of the Representatives are back there, and this time we have to show up with our guns,” he said. “And we need to slaughter these m—–f—–s.”

Prosecutors also alleged that Hunt espoused white supremacist and anti-Semitic views based on his social media accounts, as well as videos, text messages, emails, and other documents downloaded from his electronic devices.

Hunt, who went by “X-Ray Ultra” online, testified that he wasn’t trying to inspire anyone or intimidate politicians.

At the time of his arrest in January, Hunt was a full-time employee of the New York State Office of Court Administration where he worked as an assistant court analyst in the state’s Attorney Registration Unit. He is the son of a retired New York City family court judge.

He was also a part-time actor and filmmaker, according to court documents.

Hunt will be sentenced on June 22 and faces up to 10 years in prison.

“With today’s verdict, the defendant is now a convicted felon, not for his repugnant, racist rants, but because he threatened to attack and kill members of Congress to prevent them from carrying out their constitutional duties, and that is a federal crime,” stated Acting United States Attorney Lesko yesterday.

“This Office will not tolerate threats of violence against public officials who are entrusted with upholding the Constitution.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

‘Ghost car’ driver arrested in East Elmhurst after traffic stop reveals weapons, threatening note: NYPD

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst discovered an arsenal of weapons in a ghost car they pulled over on Ditmars Boulevard and 86th Street in East Elmhurst early Wednesday morning.

NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey held a press briefing at the 110th Precinct on Wednesday afternoon to discuss what the sergeant and three officers from the 110th Precinct public safety team found when they pulled over a black Ford Explorer at around 1:30 a.m. because it had blacked-out license plates.

Henry ‘Hank’ Krumholz, stalwart pioneer of Queens LGBTQ Pride, dies at 73

Henry “Hank” Krumholz, a pioneering gay rights activist in Queens, passed away on Sunday in his Flushing apartment at the age of 73.

Krumholz played a crucial role in the establishment and success of the Queens LGBTQ Pride Parade, which is held annually in Jackson Heights. He joined the parade’s sponsoring organization right after its inaugural event in 1993 and continued his involvement for decades. His passing came just a week after this year’s parade on June 2, marking its 31st anniversary.