Nov. 14, 2014 By Michael Florio
The 200 residents who were forced to evacuate their homes following a fire on 36th Street yesterday were allowed to return to their homes just before midnight last night.
A natural gas fire burned beneath 36th Street (btwn. 23rd and 24th Avenues) at about 2:45 pm yesterday forcing nearly 200 residents from 50 homes to evacuate, according to an FDNY spokesman.
The fire, which was visible along the curb line on 36th Street, was brought under control by 4:30 pm.
Con Ed, however, shut down the electricity to about 160 customers in the area. Service to all but one customer has been restored, according to the company.
Con Ed also cut 10 gas lines. Two were restored last night and the other eight are being worked on now.
A spokesman for Con Ed said they would remain on the scene throughout the day.