You are reading

Residents March to 114th Precinct in Astoria Sunday, Seek Justice for Woman Killed by Stray Bullet

Residents marched to the 114th Precinct in Astoria Sunday demanding justice for Gudelia Vallinas, who was killed by a stray bullet near Woodside Houses on March 12 (Photo: Christina Santucci)

March 29, 2021 By Christina Santucci

Several dozen people marched through the streets of Astoria Sunday evening, demanding justice for a woman who was killed by a stray bullet near Woodside Houses two weeks earlier.

The march, held in memory of Gudelia Vallinas, started at the corner of 50th Street and Broadway, where the fatal shooting took place March 12, and ended at 114th Precinct.

As of Sunday, no arrests had been made in connection to Vallinas’ death, the NYPD said.

Astoria resident Lupe Guzman organized the event to remember the mother of two and call for additional safety measures in the area, which is on the border of Woodside and Astoria. Two other shootings – one fatal – have also taken place around Woodside Houses since Villinas was killed.

The march was held just days after another rally was held by elected officials and local residents to condemn gun violence in the area.

Attendees at a rally Sunday calling for justice for Gudelia Vallinas (Photo: Christina Santucci)

“It’s our responsibility to demand a safer Astoria,” Guzman said. “Let’s rise to the occasion and get involved in the community – that is the only way we are going to make changes.”

“We don’t want this to happen to anyone else,” Guzman said.

Vallinas’ sister, Brenda Fortoso, joined the march and addressed attendees.

“I don’t need to tell you what kind of person [Vallinas] was, because everybody in the community knew her,” Fortoso said. “To see this community getting together for my sister means that this community is not going to stop.”

“It doesn’t matter if it rains. We are going to be here every single day if it is necessary until we find out who did this to her,” Fortoso continued. “It’s not fair that someone has to die – a mother, a sister. No, no more.”

Fortoso expressed her gratitude to the 50 or so people in attendance on behalf of Vallinas’ family, including her two young children.

“Thank you to every single one of you who came and is showing support,” she said.

A fundraiser for Vallinas’ funeral service has since raised nearly $65,000 – close to $45,000 over its goal – as of Sunday night. Vallinas husband, Alfredo, noted on the page that the additional money would be used to help pay for their children’s education.

Vallinas’ sister, Brenda Fortoso, (left) addresses the crowd Sunday (Photo: Christina Santucci)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
Csitom

These same marchers are the ones voting in radical left politicians who defunded the police and enabled the no bail laws. Now they want justice? Hypocrites. Enjoy the fruits of your leftwing ideology. Call a social worker.

Reply
Ghost of Leviticus

Why are they marching to the police station.? The police have been defended. They should be marching to the nearest social worker’s office.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.