You are reading

Residents Discuss $4.5M Revamp Planned For Local Playground

Dutchkills Scope 4.18.16

Source: Parks Dept

April 19, 2016 By Michael Florio

Locals gathered on Monday night to discuss renovation ideas for Dutch Kills Playground, including a possible multi-purpose sports area.

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer announced last week that he has secured $4.5 million in funding from Mayor Bill de Blasio for the renovation of Dutch Kills Playground, which is located on 36th Avenue and Crescent Street, next to P.S. 112 and near the Baccalaureate School for Global Education.

About 40 community members, including many students, attended a Parks Department meeting held Monday at P.S. 112. to brainstorm ideas for this renovation.

Many of the recommendations involved having a multi-purpose sporting section in the playground, a Parks spokesperson said.

Specific ideas included a field that could be used for soccer and exercise, possibly with a track around it, according to Van Bramer’s office. Other suggestions included fencing off certain sections of the playground.Dutch Kills Playground

“Community members have some fantastic ideas for the new upgrades at Dutch Kills Playground,” Van Bramer said. “Our community deserves a modern, up-to-date park and public space, and I look forward to working with Dutch Kills residents and the Parks Department to bring these ideas into fruition.”

Following last night’s meeting, the Parks Department will move forward with designing the renovated park. Then the project will go up for bid to contractors, which could take one year, and then construction will begin.

The playground will have to close during construction, which could also take up to one year, Queens Parks Commissioner Dorothy Lewandowski said last week.

The playground has not had any major renovations in the past 20 years, according to Van Bramer.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.