You are reading

Queens World Film Festival Returns for Fourth Year

Audience on Opening Night 2013

Feb. 13, 2014 By Michael Florio

The Queens World Film Festival (QWFF), which will showcase more than 100 independent films from across the globe, is coming back for a fourth year.

The film festival will open March 4 at the Museum of Moving Image in Astoria and will run until March 9.

Over the five day period, the event will also take place at two Long Island City venues—the Secret Theatre and the Nesva Hotel—as well as PS 69 in Jackson Heights.

The festival will feature 127 independent films from countries such as Belgium, Iran, India, Spain, Kosovo, Switzerland, Vietnam, the UK and Canada.

In addition, the work of 18 filmmakers from Queens will be screened.

There will be a one-night only screening and world premiere of the director’s cut of the 2014 Academy Award Nominated Documentary “The Act of Killing” directed by UK filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer. The film, which examines a country where death squad leaders are deemed heroes, will be shown on Thursday March 5.

“We are working on skyping with the director [Oppenheimer] at the screening, but he will be with us on closing night,” Katha Cato, the festival director, said.

“We really want all of our staff and everyone to come see this incredible, incredible documentary,” Cato said.

Katha and Don Cato

Katha and Don Cato

The screening will take place at PS 69.

The Jackson Heights venue has a capacity of 400 people. The larger films that are believed to have a wider appeal will be screened at PS 69, with the more artistic and edgier films being held at the Long Island City theaters, which are smaller.

Tickets for the festival are now on sale.

Cato has high hopes for the festival going forward.

“Our vision is to bring the world to Queens,” she said. “I see a day in a few short years where you won’t be able to get a hotel in Queens the last week of February and the first week of March cause everyone will be here.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.