You are reading

Queen District Attorney Launches Hate Crimes Bureau

Photo: Stock Unsplash

June 15, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz has launched a new bureau dedicated to combating hate crimes.

The announcement comes amid a national discussion on systemic racism following the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd, as well as a recent uptick in biased attacks against Asian Americans during the coronavirus pandemic.

The new Hate Crimes Bureau is the first in the nation committed exclusively to preventing, investigating and prosecuting hate crimes, Katz said.

The goal of the new bureau is to educate people in order to combat racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia and other hate-inspired bias crimes, according to Katz’ office.

“We are the ‘World’s Borough’ with the most diverse population of any county in the nation,” Katz said in a statement. “Hate-mongers and those who hurt others based on their own prejudices have no place in Queens.”

The specialized bureau will work closely with the District Attorney’s Office of Immigrant Affairs and the NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force.

“This Bureau takes a multifaceted approach to stopping hate crimes by working collaboratively with others to combat bias, as well as developing meaningful programs to bring about positive change,” Katz said.

Katz has appointed Assistant District Attorney Michael E. Brovner as the Chief of the Hate Crimes Bureau. Brovner, a 23-year veteran of the DA Office, previously served as Deputy Bureau Chief in the former Gang Violence and Hate Crimes Bureau.

Brovner has prosecuted hate crimes for more than 20 years and has lectured and trained others on hate crimes prosecution throughout New York State.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.