You are reading

Police Nab Woodside Man Seen on Video Beating Two Men After Fender Bender

May 13, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Police have arrested the man caught on video beating and robbing two men after they hit his car in Jackson Heights over the weekend.

Officers nabbed 27-year-old Jovani Padin of Woodside Wednesday and charged him with robbery, attempted grand larceny, assault and leaving the scene of an accident.

The incident was sparked by a seemingly innocuous collision in which Padin was driving a grey Honda Accord down 70th Street when he was hit by a white Nissan Sentra that was pulling out of a parking lot at around 7 p.m.

Padin got out of the Honda and demanded money for the damage to his car. He then started punching two men who were the occupants of the Nissan and had gotten out of their vehicle during the course of an argument, police said.

He allegedly sucker punched a 55-year-old man who had been a passenger in the Nissan. The victim was knocked out cold and Padin took the man’s phone as he laid on the street, the video shows.

Suspect (NYPD)

Padin then turned on the 23-year-old Nissan driver and repeatedly punched him as he tried to walk away.

The 23-year-old tried to block the punches with his arms as he was knocked to the ground. Padin, shown wearing jeans and a neon hoodie, grabbed his phone from his hand, according to the video.

He then walked back to the 55-year-old, who was still out cold on the ground. He callously flipped his limp body over and grabbed the man’s wallet from his pocket, the video shows.

Padin allegedly took off in his own car with the victim’s cellphones and the older man’s wallet — which contained his ID and bank cards, police said.

Both victims refused medical attention, police said.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.