You are reading

Owner of Omonia Cafe to open former Uncle George’s restaurant, aims to reassert Greek feel to Broadway

Uncle George's, located on the ground floor of 34th and Broadway

Uncle George’s, located on the ground floor of 34th and Broadway

Nov. 2, 2016 By Hannah Wulkan

A local restaurateur plans to breathe new life in to a venerable Broadway eatery.

Ioannis Arvanitis, the owner of Omonia Café, plans to reopen the former Uncle George’s restaurant at 33-19 Broadway as a new Greek eatery called Amylos, hoping to revive the spirit that he says Broadway has lost.

“Broadway used to be the number one avenue in Astoria,” Arvanitis said, explaining that there used to be several Greek restaurants nearby, including Uncle George’s, which closed in 2013.

“Now I’m here by myself, and I don’t feel good,” he said. “I want to make new life on Broadway.”

Arvanitis said that the new restaurant would be a slightly more upscale version of the former Uncle George’s, but similar in its focus on Greek and Mediterranean food.

He hired a chef from Greece and plans to serve classic Greek dishes including lamb and shish kabobs in an environment that welcomes the community.

He explained that he opened Omonia in 1977, and his 40 years of experience on Broadway has given him insight as to how his restaurant could be successful.

“I know what customers want,” Arvanitis said. “Good food and good prices.”

Arvanitis acquired the property in 2012 for $1.5 million, according to property records, and since then has completely renovated the building, adding a fourth floor and constructing five apartments.

Construction is still underway at the new building, but Arvanitis said he expects to open the restaurant no later than March.

He added that he does not expect a conflict between his new establishment and Omonia Café, despite the fact that they are about a block away from one another, given that Omonia is primarily a bakery and Amylos will be a restaurant.

email the author:


Click for Comments 
Aphrodite P Kokotsis

Bravo! Good to see Astoria staying Greek.
It was always a pleasure to walk in Astoria and be able to have a great selection of stores to pick from.
Καλες δουλειες!


Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

‘Ghost car’ driver arrested in East Elmhurst after traffic stop reveals weapons, threatening note: NYPD

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst discovered an arsenal of weapons in a ghost car they pulled over on Ditmars Boulevard and 86th Street in East Elmhurst early Wednesday morning.

NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey held a press briefing at the 110th Precinct on Wednesday afternoon to discuss what the sergeant and three officers from the 110th Precinct public safety team found when they pulled over a black Ford Explorer at around 1:30 a.m. because it had blacked-out license plates.

Henry ‘Hank’ Krumholz, stalwart pioneer of Queens LGBTQ Pride, dies at 73

Henry “Hank” Krumholz, a pioneering gay rights activist in Queens, passed away on Sunday in his Flushing apartment at the age of 73.

Krumholz played a crucial role in the establishment and success of the Queens LGBTQ Pride Parade, which is held annually in Jackson Heights. He joined the parade’s sponsoring organization right after its inaugural event in 1993 and continued his involvement for decades. His passing came just a week after this year’s parade on June 2, marking its 31st anniversary.