You are reading

NYPD Is Confiscating and Destroying Illegal Dirt Bikes and ATVs That Are Being Used on NYC Streets

Photo: Courtesy of the Mayor’s Office

Sept. 17, 2021 By Christian Murray

Mayor Bill de Blasio sent out a strong message Thursday to the owners of illegal dirt bikes and off-road vehicles who are tempted to operate one of them in New York City: “Don’t even think about it,” he said. “Because the NYPD will find it and will crush it.”

De Blasio and high-ranking members of the NYPD held a press conference at a Department of Sanitation site on Staten Island yesterday, where they demolished more than 40 unregistered dirt bikes and off-road vehicles.

“These dirt bikes are dangerous,” he said. “They can endanger the lives of the people around them — anyone in the neighborhood,” de Blasio said. “We need to make clear that we’re just not going to tolerate this kind of illegality, and here’s a very visual way to get our point across.”

Authorities say that there has been a significant increase in the number of illegal dirt bikes in use this year, which has led to deaths and injuries. For instance, in New York City during the first three months of 2021, eight people reportedly were killed in dirt bike or off-road vehicle incidents.

Officials estimate that as many as 3,000 bikes will be removed from New York City streets this year, compared to about 500 last year.

The bikes are not just causing problems in terms of road safety, noise and pollution but they have also been used in several shootings and crimes, officials said.

The bikes have several characteristics that make them illegal and therefore unlawful to ride.

Any bike that lacks side mirrors, brake lights and/or turn signals is unable to be registered with New York state—and is therefore illegal to ride.

Residents are urged to submit tips about where illegal bikes are being stored, either by phone— 1-800-577-8477 (TIPS), or 1-888-577-4782 (PISTA) for Spanish— on the Crime Stoppers website, or by texting 274637 (CRIMES) then entering TIP577. Police say all calls are kept confidential.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.