You are reading

New York Schools Will Remain Closed Through End of Academic Year: Cuomo

Governor Cuomo announced that all schools in the state will remain closed for the remainder of the academic year (Darren McGee/ Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

May 1, 2020 By Allie Griffin

All New York school and college buildings will remain closed through the end of the academic year, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

Cuomo made the announcement weeks after Mayor Bill de Blasio said New York City public schools will stay closed through the end of the term.

The two lawmakers have butted heads over the issue of who has the authority to close and reopen schools since the coronavirus pandemic took hold of New York City.

Cuomo said the mayor didn’t have the authority to keep city school facilities shuttered hours after de Blasio made the call on April 11.

“He didn’t close them, and he can’t open them,” Cuomo said at the time.

De Blasio held his ground and said all schools must remain closed for the safety of students and teachers. Cuomo finally agreed.

“We’re going to have the schools remained closed for the rest of the year,” Cuomo said at an Albany press briefing today. “We’re going to continue the distance learning programs.”

Cuomo added that he’ll decide if summer school will be in-person or online by the end of the month.

Catholic schools within New York City, including Brooklyn and Queens, will also remain closed under Cuomo’s order.

“We just learned of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s decision that all elementary and secondary schools shall remain closed for the duration of the current 2019-2020 school year, as New York continues efforts to prevent the spread of Coronavirus,” Dr. Thomas Chadzutko, Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Brooklyn, said in a statement.

“As such, the Catholic academies and parish schools within the Diocese of Brooklyn, which includes Queens, will remain closed through the end of June.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.