You are reading

Mundo, a popular restaurant that closed 2 years ago, to reappear–opening Nov. 14

MUNDO

Nov. 7, 2014 By Michael Florio

A popular Astoria restaurant that closed two years ago is about to reappear at a nearby location.

Mundo, which was best known for its global cuisine, is about to open on the ground floor of the Paper Factory Hotel, located at 37-06 36th Street.

The restaurant will be holding a grand opening party on Nov. 14.

Mundo has plenty of space at its new location—occupying two levels. The ground floor can seat 80 diners, while the lower level is for events that can cater up to 120 people.

Mundo had been located in a much smaller space on the corner of 32nd Street and Broadway from 2005 until 2012.

Co-owner Canalp Caner said that they closed that location since they wanted a break from the business and wanted a bigger space.

Caner said that the restaurant will continue to serve dishes from all over the globe—although there will be a focus on South American food.

Caner said some of the old favorites will be returning to the menu, such as Red Sonja, a vegetarian dish consisting of red lentils and spices.

The restaurant will also have an exotic drinks menu.

“We are coming up with an exciting variety of cocktails from all around the world,” Caner said, adding that there will also be fresh, organic cocktails and a variety of spirits that people may not be familiar with.

Co-owner Guillermo Lucerofabbi said he hopes to establish live music every weekend.

The restaurant had a loyal customer base at its former location and many were disappointed when it closed. The owners said that they look forward to reconnecting with old customers.

“For us, that is the most exciting part of the project,” Caner said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.