You are reading

MTA closes tiny Astoria street for two years for construction

June 4, 2014 By Michael Florio

It’s going to be years before a car is permitted to travel down one block in the southern section of Astoria.

The MTA has shut down 46th Street between Northern Blvd and 34th Avenue to install a fan/vent plant to serve the Queens Blvd subway lines (E,F,M and R trains).

The fan/vent plant is necessary since it will provide air and tunnel access to the subway lines in the event of an emergency, said Kevin Ortiz, a MTA spokesman.

Motor vehicles and the general public are no longer permitted access to the block. However, the MTA said that current residents and employees who live or work on the street will be able to gain entry.

Currently, there is a residential building, Sleepy’s and a Major Auto dealership located on the block, Ortiz said.

“We have had outreach with the property owners,” Ortiz said. “All of our work has been approved by the Department of Transportation and has the proper permits.”

Construction is not expected to be completed until the fall 2016– at the earliest.

“It is an inconvenience, but it has to be done,” said Community Board 1 District Manager Lucille Hartmann. The street was closed down early last month.

The biggest inconvenience to residents in the area is the construction noise. However, Hartmann said the majority of the work will be completed during the day, while some may have to be conducted during the evening hours.

“I had one call regarding the noise, but that’s it,” she said. “No businesses have complained.”

There will also be no parking on the north side of Northern Blvd between 45th and 47th street. Violators will be towed.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

They start drilling into the ground at 6am and they broke up the street that was just paved and already its starting to sink.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.