May 27, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge
“Mad Men” is off the air but still on in Astoria.
The Museum of the Moving Image announced Tuesday that it will extend its exhibit “Matthew Weiner’s Mad Men” by roughly three months, through Sept. 6. The exhibit opened March 14 and was originally planned for a June 14 closing.
“Matthew Weiner’s Mad Men” offers a comprehensive exploration of the objects, resources and ideas that crafted the series and its stories during its seven-season run. Visitors to the exhibit will find hundreds of props, from Don Draper’s suit and office bar cart, to Joan Holloway’s pen necklace, to iconic ads and blood-stained costumes. Large-scale sets from the series with many original props are also on view.
Museum spokesperson Tomoko Kawamoto said that the decision to extend the exhibit was based on its “enormous popularity” since it opened.
According to Kawamoto, admission numbers have not been compiled, but the museum saw “approximately double” the number of visitors during the exhibit’s first month compared to the same period last year.
“Given the extraordinary popularity of the exhibition, which has attracted a broader public beyond fans of the show, the Museum is very pleased to extend its run,” Carl Goodman, the museum’s executive director, said in a statement. “A landmark TV series, ‘Mad Men’ will continue to be watched, discussed, and studied for years to come.”
Museum admission, which includes the exhibit, runs $12 for adults and $9 for seniors and students, and is free on Fridays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.