You are reading

More West Nile Spraying Planned For Astoria

Westnileastoria

Sept. 21, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge

Pesticide-spraying trucks will return to Astoria this evening as the Health Dept. aims to deplete the mosquito population to combat West Nile disease.

Spraying will begin at 8:30 p.m. and continue until 6 a.m. Tuesday morning.

The spraying location will be bounded by 20th Avenue and 35th Street to the north, 28th Avenue, 43rd Street and Newtown Road to the west, Broadway and Northern Boulevard to the south, and Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (278), 30th Avenue, 78th Street, Astoria Boulevard and 75th Street to the east.

The Health Dept. also sprayed this area in mid-August, one day after announcing that the first human case of West Nile virus had been discovered in a Brooklyn man.

Since then, eleven cases of West Nile Disease have been discovered citywide, with five in Queens, according to the Health Dept.

One case of less severe West Nile fever has also occurred in Queens.

A Health Dept. spokesperson said the agency could not specify where in the borough these cases were located due to privacy concerns.

While the Health Dept. said the pesticide (Anvil® 10+10) used does not pose any significant health risk, it advises residents with respiratory ailments to stay indoors while spraying occurs.

Windows should be kept closed; air conditioners may be used, but the vents should be closed to prevent possible indoor exposure to the pesticide.

Any toys, clothes and outdoor equipment should be moved inside prior to spraying; anything left outside while spraying occurs should be thoroughly washed before reuse. People exposed to the pesticide should thoroughly wash their skin with soap and water.

A rain date for tonight’s spraying is scheduled for Sept. 28 during the same hours.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.