You are reading

Mayor Eric Adams Backs Innovation QNS, ‘The Project Should Move Forward’

Mayor Eric Adams told reporters during a press conference about trash pickups today that he is in support of the Innovation QNS project

Oct. 17, 2022 By Christian Murray

Mayor Eric Adams said today that he is in support of the Innovation QNS development and that the project should move forward.

Adams announced his support when he was asked about the project by a reporter at the end of a press conference he was holding about trash pickups.

“We have a housing problem,” Adams said in response to the question about Innovation QNS. “Addressing the housing problem means building more housing, and this project is a good project.”

The development would bring 2,800 units to five square blocks in Astoria, including approximately 1,100 affordable units. The project would consist of 12 buildings that would range in height from eight to 27 stories in the vicinity of Steinway Street and 35th Avenue.

Adams said that his administration is engaging in conversations with Councilmember Julie Won, who represents the district where the development is proposed. Won is opposed to the project in its current form arguing that it does not include enough affordable housing.

Won wants the developers–Silverstein Properties, BedRock Real Estate Partners and Kaufman Astoria Studios—to set aside at least 50 percent of the units for affordable housing, up from the current figure of 40 percent.

The developers agreed to boost the number of affordable housing units from 25 percent to 40 percent last month.

The $2 billion proposal, which is dependent on a rezoning, is scheduled to go before the city council for a vote next month that will determine its fate.

Traditionally the city council votes in lockstep with the official where the development is proposed—known as council deference—although many high-ranking officials want Innovation QNS to be built and believe the council may break from this tradition.

“There are things that the council woman wants to talk about to get to a good and comfortable place. We are open to that, but the project should move forward,” Adams said, “We can’t continue to stop these projects.”

Adams described the concept of member deference as an informal council tradition. He said he aims to convince the council that the project makes sense.

Won was not immediately available for comment.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

Eric Adams is a corrupt clown who should keep his bought-and-paid-for mouth shut, especially on things where he has no business weighing in. Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside do not need a bunch of glass abominations that sit empty while people cannot find housing just so some political hack can claim he built something.

Fact is, Innovation QNS is not going to help our housing problem. We don’t need more investment properties for billionaires, we need one and two family homes for people who work for a living. We don’t need more retail space that sits empty while storefronts on Ditmars and Steinway and Greenpoint Ave have had for rent signs for years. We don’t need thousands of square feet of office space that will sit empty like the offices in Manhattan that can’t be rented right now. All that could be housing, if gutless politicians like Eric Adams had half the balls that Julie Won does.

Reply
joe_the_accountant

Councilmember Won will throw up any roadblocks that she can to prevent the construction of new housing.

1
1
Reply
Avbabe

She wants housing regular people can afford. There is no hosting shortage for the millionaires and billionaires this project is for.

Reply
GT

Perhaps the current building of luxury apts in Manhattan and Brooklyn should receive the same proposal for affordable housing. Astoria’s population has grown and is overcrowded.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.