You are reading

Local Muslims worry about their safety, following recent attacks

Masjid Al Ikhlas mosque

June 4, 2014 By Michael Florio

Several Muslims are nervous about their safety in Astoria following a series of recent attacks.

Five members of the Masjid Al Ikhlas mosque, located at 21-23 30th Drive, attended the 114th police precinct community meeting last week, and said that they had been subject to a series of assaults and were worried that they might be racially motivated.

Badron Kahn, who worships at the mosque, told Deputy Inspector Kevin Maloney that several members had been attacked and robbed recently.

“I think they are targeting the South Asian community,” Kahn said. She said she was not certain that the group was being singled out —or whether it was just a series of random events– but those who attend the mosque feel unsafe.

One victim, Manik Chowdauri, who attended the meeting, said he was grabbed from behind and placed in a headlock while walking to his Crescent Street home on May 16 at around 12:30 am. The headlock rendered him unconscious.

Chowdauri said that when he woke up on the ground his money was missing.

“I am scared,” Chowdauri said. “I’ve been in the area since 1993 and I have never felt this way before.”

Meanwhile, Kahn said that a teenage member was walking home along Crescent Street when four other boys came along and beat him up for no apparent reason.

Kahn said that there had several other incidents, including one man who was attacked when he left the mosque one evening.

Kahn said the members are scared for their safety, especially with Ramadan beginning June 28th. During the holiday month the members will be attending the mosque more frequently.

Maloney told Kahn to make sure that the group reports all these incidents. He said the precinct was willing to send someone out to the mosque to make security suggestions, such as increased lighting.

Maloney asked Kahn for the Ramadan schedule so the precinct could send a patrol car over.

“No one should have to feel unsafe in their own community,” Maloney said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
ajla

It is sad that this wonderful neighborhood is getting worse and that the crime rate keeps increasing. I have been living here for twenty years and this is so unfortunate. Why cant we just live in this nice area all together in peace and enjoy and appreciate what we have. There are so many ignorant people in the world nowadays, people are quick to judge and stereotype. I wish that the people who are committing these crimes are guided on the right path and seek forgiveness and I hope and pray we are all safe.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.