You are reading

Hospital Admissions for Coronavirus Patients in New York City Are Down: Mayor

Mayor Bill de Blasio at City Hall today (Ed Reed/Mayoral Photography Office)

April 23, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Hospital admissions for coronavirus patients in New York City are continuing to go down, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.

On Wednesday, the number of people admitted to New York City hospitals with coronavirus symptoms was 227, a marked decline from figures of two or three weeks ago. For instance, on March 31 there were 850 admissions for the virus.

Other indicators the city is using to track the spread have also decreased.

The daily number of COVID-19 patients in ICUs at the city’s 11 public hospitals continues to drop. Yesterday, there were 796 patients being treated for the virus in the intensive care units at public hospitals. On April 14, there were 887 people in ICUs for coronavirus.

NYC DOH

The percentage of people tested for COVID-19 that have positive results has also gone down citywide to 33 percent. One week ago it was 47 percent.

Meanwhile, the percentage of people testing positive in public health labs was 57 percent, a decline from previous weeks.

De Blasio said the numbers indicate that social distancing measures are helping New York City fight the deadly virus.

He said New Yorkers must continue to stay at home and social distance — despite the progress.

“We can’t let the natural desire to go back to normal life interfere with our efforts to defeat the virus,” he said. “This is not a battle we can fight alone; the choices ordinary New Yorkers are making at every hour of each day hold the key to fighting COVID-19.”

DOH

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.