You are reading

Hoax Bomber Charged With Making Terrorist Threat, Faces Up to 7 Years in Prison: DA

Police outside the Queens Place Mall Monday (Citizen)

Jan. 6, 2021 Christian Murray

A right-wing extremist who allegedly planted a fake bomb on top of a car at the Queens Place Mall Monday has been charged with making terrorist threats and faces up to 7 years in prison.

Louis Shenker, a 22-year-old man from Massachusetts, was arraigned Wednesday before a Queens Criminal Court Judge on charges of placing a false bomb in an enclosed mall and making a terrorist threat.

“Sadly, we live in a world where terror attacks are far too real,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement. “Fake bombs and hoaxes of any kind create panic and fear. We take all potential threats seriously.”

The hoax explosive device found on a vehicle at the Queens Place Mall in Elmhurst (Photo: NYPD)

Shenker is alleged to have left a vehicle inside the garage at the Queens Place Mall that had a gas tank and wires attached, giving the appearance of a bomb. The car, a black Tesla, was also covered in blankets, cardboard boxes, a Black Lives Matter sign and there was a dog inside.

According to the Queens DA, Shenker was observed by police earlier that morning standing next to the Tesla that had stalled on the parking garage ramp. A police officer saw him at 4:50 a.m. with a second man– who has yet to be apprehended–trying to charge the vehicle with an electric bike.

The officer inspected Shenker’s driver’s license and a California ID belonging to an alleged accomplice. He observed blankets, clothing, a dog and a Black Lives Matter sign.

Shenker told the officer that he had called a tow company.

The vehicle was discovered hours later by an employee of the Queens Place Mall who reported it to police at around 7:35 a.m.

After evacuating the mall and analyzing the device, the NYPD determined at around 9:35 a.m. that it was a fake.

Shenker later turned himself into police at a Brooklyn precinct at 3 a.m. Tuesday. He is currently being held without bail and has been ordered to return to court Jan. 7.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

‘Ghost car’ driver arrested in East Elmhurst after traffic stop reveals weapons, threatening note: NYPD

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst discovered an arsenal of weapons in a ghost car they pulled over on Ditmars Boulevard and 86th Street in East Elmhurst early Wednesday morning.

NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey held a press briefing at the 110th Precinct on Wednesday afternoon to discuss what the sergeant and three officers from the 110th Precinct public safety team found when they pulled over a black Ford Explorer at around 1:30 a.m. because it had blacked-out license plates.

Henry ‘Hank’ Krumholz, stalwart pioneer of Queens LGBTQ Pride, dies at 73

Henry “Hank” Krumholz, a pioneering gay rights activist in Queens, passed away on Sunday in his Flushing apartment at the age of 73.

Krumholz played a crucial role in the establishment and success of the Queens LGBTQ Pride Parade, which is held annually in Jackson Heights. He joined the parade’s sponsoring organization right after its inaugural event in 1993 and continued his involvement for decades. His passing came just a week after this year’s parade on June 2, marking its 31st anniversary.