You are reading

Gov. Kathy Hochul Adds 12,000 Deaths to State’s COVID-19 Tally

Photo by Kampus Production from Pexels

Aug. 25, 2021 By Christian Murray

Gov. Kathy Hochul announced yesterday that that there have been nearly 55,400 COVID-19 deaths in the state— 12,000 more than what her predecessor had been publicizing, the Associated Press has reported.

Hochul said Tuesday that the revised figure—up from the 43,400 that Andrew Cuomo had reported on Monday—is based on the numbers tallied by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC figures include deaths at home, hospice, state prisons and elsewhere, and include presumed COVID-19 deaths— not just confirmed.

The state figure provided by Cuomo had only included laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 deaths reported through a system that collects data from hospitals, nursing homes and adult care facilities, according to the AP.

That lower number, according to AP, still appeared in the daily update released by Hochul’s office Tuesday, but included an explanation about why it was an incomplete count.

“We’re now releasing more data than had been released before publicly, so people know the nursing home deaths and the hospital deaths are consistent with what’s being displayed by the CDC,” Hochul said Wednesday on MSNBC.

“There’s a lot of things that weren’t happening and I’m going to make them happen. Transparency will be the hallmark of my administration.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Pat Macnamara

So the updated numbers aren’t entirely accurate either.
The CDC figures include deaths at home, hospice, state prisons and elsewhere, and include presumed< COVID-19 deaths— not just confirmed. So how is this useful? What is the benefit of the adjusted numbers?

Reply
Larry Penner

So the truth finally comes out. Cuomo lied after all about the true number of COVID-19 deaths.
Larry Penner

1
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.