You are reading

Gilbey’s Irish pub to close its doors after 28 years in Astoria

The exterior of Gilbey's Irish bar on Broadway.

Gilbey’s has been a Broadway stalwart for the past 28 years. Photo: Gilbey’s.

Aug. 19, 2024 by Shane O’Brien

Gilbey’s, a hugely popular Irish bar that has operated on Broadway for the past 28 years, will close its doors for the final time on Thursday.

The bar, located at 32-01 Broadway, announced the news in a post on Instagram, stating that Thursday, Aug. 22, will be the last day that it will be open to the public.

Gilbey’s co-owner Seamus King, a native of Ireland’s County Louth who opened the bar 28 years ago, said he had decided to close down because “it was time to move on, among many other factors.”

King said he has enjoyed a “great 28-run” at Gilbey’s, stating anecdotally that the bar has cultivated many long-term friendships and inspired many romances.

“Gilbey’s has been open for decades and holds many fond memories for those in the neighborhood,” King said.

He also paid tribute to his customers and thanked people for their messages of support since the bar announced it was closing down earlier last week.

“We greatly appreciate everyone’s well wishes and want to thank our customers for everything.”

In the Instagram post announcing the closure, Gilbey’s also paid tribute to the members of the local Astoria community who have patronized the establishment over the past 28 years.

“We want to thank our amazing community for your patronage throughout the years. Gilbey’s has been a pillar in Astoria for decades, and we will greatly miss sharing pints with our customers-turned-friends,” Gilbey’s said on Instagram.

The bar also encouraged customers to share any photographs or memories they had as a parting gift for King and fellow co-owner Mike Cremin.

Anyone willing to share any photographs or memories is encouraged to reach out to the bar on Instagram or to send an email to fionakingxoxo@hotmail.com.

In 2018, when rumors of Gilbey’s imminent closure circulated in the neighborhood, scores of customers visited the beloved establishment for one last drink, with some customers even flying in from Ireland to say farewell.

Gilbey’s, which was originally named Gibney’s when it opened 28 years ago before undergoing a name change in the late 90s, survived on that occasion, with King and Cremin signing a three-year lease at the location with an option to renew.

However, the bar is set to close its doors for good on this occasion, with just under a week left for customers to say a final farewell.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Zul

Sad to hear, wish we knew sooner. Mike and Colm were always such gentleman. Wishing you both much success and happiness for the future.
Best Regards,
Melissa & Zoran

Reply
Wade

Think I’ll go in there Thursday and play N’Sync’s Bye Bye Bye on the Junkbox. Been stuck in my head ever since I saw Deadpool and Wolverine.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.