You are reading

Four Men Escape Burning House On 28th Street; fire ‘deliberately set,’ says FDNY


Oct. 13, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge

Four men escaped a house fire on 28th Street yesterday afternoon with the help of police.

The fire broke out at 23-44 28th Street on Monday afternoon, according to the NYPD.

Upon arrival at the scene, officers heard a male voice screaming from the first floor but were unable to see the victim. The officers pushed in a window AC unit to climb inside, where they found four men inside the burning, smoke-filled apartment.

The officers rescued two of these men while the other two escaped on their own, according to police. All were safely removed, but two sustained minor injuries, as did five police officers, and one firefighter.

“Extensive” property damage also resulted, police said.

The FDNY said Wednesday that the fire was “deliberately set” and that an arrest had been made.  However, the NYPD was unable to confirm this.

Reach reporter Jackie Strawbridge at [email protected]

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.