You are reading

DOT Seeks Feedback on 21st Street Corridor, Aims to Improve Bus Service And Safety

Q103 bus on 21st Street (Photo DOT)

April 26, 2021 By Christina Santucci

The city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking community input about bus routes – as well as pedestrian and bike safety – on 21st Street in western Queens, as part of a study of the corridor.

The agency has established a community advisory board to solicit feedback and has set up a website where members of the public can comment.

The goal of the review – called the 21st Street Bus Priority and Safety Study – is to create a stakeholder-supported plan to improve bus speeds between Hoyt Avenue North and Queens Plaza North and to make the busy roadway safer for all those who travel on it.

Study Area (DOT)

Five bus routes are located on the section of 21st Street being studied – three south of 35th Avenue and two north of 35th Avenue.

The DOT has asked members of the public to submit comments about issues – such as crowded bus stops, aggressive drivers and double parking – via an interactive map. As of Sunday, 81 comments had been submitted, including 18 about a lack of crosswalks along the busy thoroughfare.

Meanwhile, the advisory board is composed of a variety of organizations and individuals – including neighborhood and transportation groups, elected officials, NYCHA buildings, representatives from city agencies, and area schools and youth organizations.

The DOT said local elected officials helped choose Community Advisory Board (CAB) members, and that the MTA was also on the board. The CAB is slated to hold its second meeting Thursday.

Richard Khuzami, president of the Old Astoria Neighborhood Association (OANA), said his community group has been gathering comments about 21st Street to bring to the CAB next meeting. OANA is a member of the advisory board.

“We have gotten a good amount of feedback already. We do the best we can to represent what the community wants,” he said.

So far, opinions have varied about what changes – if any – are needed on the corridor, Khuzami said.

A spokesperson for the DOT said the agency plans to use all of the feedback to develop several potential designs for the roadway, which would then be shared with the advisory board and members of the public. Dedicated bus lanes are among many potential options under consideration.

Agency officials said last week that they are in the initial stages of outreach and data collection, and expect to complete the study later this year.

The 21st Street corridor is among several Queens roadways included in the city’s Better Buses Action Plan – aimed at improving bus speeds citywide by 25 percent and reversing downward bus ridership trends.

Previously, the roadway was identified as one of 21 primary bus priority corridors by the DOT and the MTA through the Queens Network Redesign Draft Plan, and 21st Street was also designated as a Vision Zero corridor in 2019 because of an increase in pedestrians killed or seriously injured.

The DOT wrote that it launched the study “in light of 21st Street’s importance as a transit street and the evident need for safety improvements on the corridor.”

Additional information about the 21st Street study can also be found in a PDF presentation published by the DOT.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

4 Comments

Click for Comments 
Ed Collins

Scoters, powered bikes have become a problem as they don’t observe traffic signs and lights and often they use sidewalks besides roadways.

Reply
SusanShohet

The best thing that could happen on 21st street would babus that goes over the bridge. Steinway / Queens Blvd has a bus why not 21st street.

Reply
Ed Babcock

I notice you very carefully refrain from giving us any links in this article so that we could ourselves comment on this plan. Shame on you!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.