You are reading

Councilman launches #KeepAstoriaClean social media campaign

May 19, 2014 By Michael Florio

Councilman Costa Constantinides’ crusade to keep the sidewalks and streets of Astoria clean continues.

The councilman has just launched a “Keep Astoria Clean” campaign that comes on the heels of program that he launched last month that brought street cleaners to Astoria’s business districts.

The latest program is a public awareness campaign where he aims to get the word out–through social media–that dumping household trash in street cans is not permitted. Furthermore, the campaign makes it clear that businesses are also not allowed to use street cans to dispose of their waste.

“There needs to be more done to get the word out,” Constantinides said. “We need to highlight these rules and regulations and make sure that everyone knows them.”

Next month, Constantinides said he will start knocking on doors to explain the rules and regulations about corner garbage cans. He said he will be approaching businesses and residents. “We want to make sure people know what the corner cans are for,” he said, which is for litter generated while shopping and eating.

The councilman wants to turn the campaign into a good-neighbor event, and is encouraging residents and business owners to post a picture of themselves sweeping the streets, or picking up trash to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter using “#KeepAstoriaClean.”

Posters announcing this campaign have been hung up by businesses located on 30th Avenue, Broadway and 31st Street.

Constantinides says a lot of residents and businesses have already participated in the campaign, such as Butcher Bar, Pink Nori Sushi, Raven’s Head and Hour Children Charities. All have hung posters in their window and many have posted photos of themselves sweeping the sidewalks.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.