You are reading

Council Member Julie Won Takes Office With Her Team Working Remotely

Julie Won is sworn in as council member for the 26th Council District at City Hall (Council Member Julie Won via Twitter)

Jan. 4, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Julie Won officially took office representing District 26 Monday and is now offering constituent services remotely.

Won said she and her staff will be working remotely for the time being due to the current surge of COVID cases.

Once it’s safe, her team will move into her predecessor Jimmy Van Bramer’s district office, located at 47-01 Queens Blvd., Suite 205. However, that space will serve only as a temporary district office as Won looks for a new permanent location elsewhere in Sunnyside.

Won has also named a chief of staff to head her team.

She has hired Lorena Lucero, who previously served as chief of staff to former Brooklyn Council Member Carlos Menchaca. Menchaca is known for his short-lived mayoral run as well as his fierce opposition to a developer’s plan to redevelop Industry City in his district. The plan was scrapped, largely due to his criticism.

Won was set to have an inauguration ceremony on Jan.15 but decided to postpone due to the spike in COVID-19 infections. Won, herself, recently contracted the virus.

Won beat out more than a dozen candidates in the June Democratic primary and easily won the November general election for the D-26 seat. She is the first woman and immigrant to represent the district, which covers Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside and part of Astoria.

“I am honored to begin serving my neighbors on the City Council,” Won said in a statement. “Above all else I will be the voice for my constituents, especially those who have been neglected and underserved.”

Won said constituents can contact her office by calling 718-383-9566, emailing district26@council.nyc.gov or reaching out on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.