You are reading

Constantinides Calls on the MTA to Put Safety Netting Under Elevated N/W Tracks in Astoria

Costa Constantinides holds a flashlight that fell from the elevated tracks on Thursday that nearly struck a pedestrian (Photo: Shane O’Brien)

Aug. 5, 2019 By Shane O’Brien

Council Member Costa Constantinides is calling on the MTA to place safety netting underneath the elevated N/W tracks in Astoria after a resident was nearly struck by a piece of MTA equipment that fell from the track last week.

Constantinides, who held a press conference near the Ditmars Boulevard station this morning, said a female pedestrian was almost struck by an MTA flashlight that had fallen from the N/W tracks on Thursday.

The near-miss took place as the woman approached the 31st Street and 23rd Avenue intersection at around 8 a.m., Constantinides said. The MTA is currently doing trackwork at the location.

Constantinides held the flashlight aloft during the press conference and said that the woman narrowly avoided a serious injury or worse. He said that the flashlight fell during a routine inspection of the tracks.

Constantinides noted that there have also been unconfirmed reports of debris falling at Astoria Boulevard Station, where there is ongoing construction.

The MTA recently announced that it would be placing safety nets underneath the N/W tracks between Queensboro Plaza and the 39th Avenue station in Long Island City on a trial basis. Constantinides called on the agency to include the remaining two miles of track up to Ditmars Boulevard.

The MTA is also adding safety nets underneath sections of the elevated 7 train on a trial basis after several incidents of falling debris in Woodside.

Constantinides said that he has already been in discussions with the MTA over Thursday’s incident. He said that the MTA described the incident as rare, and has yet to put a plan in place.

He stressed that the press conference was not about criticizing the MTA, but about acknowledging the danger of falling equipment and debris–and eradicating that danger.

“The MTA called this a rare occurrence; what if another rare occurrence happened and someone was seriously injured,” Constantinides said. “How do we look those families in the face and say, because it was too expensive, we let their family member get injured? That is a scenario that is unconscionable to me.”

Constantinides said that one incident was one too many and that he hoped that the MTA would be swift in its installation of netting beneath the tracks.

“They should be looking at this with the same seriousness that I am. We need to ensure safety and ensure peace of mind,” Constantinides said.

The MTA said that it too wants to ensure public safety and is in the process of determining the effectiveness of safety netting through a series of trials at various Queens locations. It did not say whether the nets would come to the Astoria portion of the N/W track if the trial proves successful.

“We’re undertaking a short netting trial in several areas in order to design an effective solution that protects the street below while still allowing visual and physical access for regular inspections,” the MTA said in a statement.

The MTA said it is reinforcing worker safety standards.

“Workers follow strict safety protocols and anyone responsible for failing to secure equipment will be held accountable,” the MTA added.

Intersection of 31st Street and 23rd Avenue where flashlight fell (Photo: Queens Post)

email the author:


Click for Comments 
Pat Macnamaracist it looks like they published this anti-Costa comment

What about the grand librul conspiracy?!

Pat Macnamaracist trolls

No they selectively omit comments criticizing how this political hack all of sudden demands this netting over one flashlight-while posing in front of that idiotic podium. The massive crowd of one person, the photographer, wondering how this buffoon keeps getting elected…


So many smelly and dirty food carts and trucks in that area. How about moving some elsewhere so people can walk faster.

If diversity hurts your feelings you're in the wrong city

You sound a little too fragile for NYC. You should move to a Republican paradise like Alabama.


Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

‘Ghost car’ driver arrested in East Elmhurst after traffic stop reveals weapons, threatening note: NYPD

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst discovered an arsenal of weapons in a ghost car they pulled over on Ditmars Boulevard and 86th Street in East Elmhurst early Wednesday morning.

NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey held a press briefing at the 110th Precinct on Wednesday afternoon to discuss what the sergeant and three officers from the 110th Precinct public safety team found when they pulled over a black Ford Explorer at around 1:30 a.m. because it had blacked-out license plates.

Henry ‘Hank’ Krumholz, stalwart pioneer of Queens LGBTQ Pride, dies at 73

Henry “Hank” Krumholz, a pioneering gay rights activist in Queens, passed away on Sunday in his Flushing apartment at the age of 73.

Krumholz played a crucial role in the establishment and success of the Queens LGBTQ Pride Parade, which is held annually in Jackson Heights. He joined the parade’s sponsoring organization right after its inaugural event in 1993 and continued his involvement for decades. His passing came just a week after this year’s parade on June 2, marking its 31st anniversary.