You are reading

City to Shut Building Sites to Protect Construction Workers From Coronavirus

Manhattan Construction Site (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)

March 27, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The city is shutting down most building sites to curb the spread of coronavirus and protect construction workers from getting infected.

Governor Andrew Cuomo has declared that non-essential construction will end today, effectively bringing the private construction sector to a halt, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on WNYC Friday.

Until now, construction workers had been allowed to continue to work under the state’s “pause” shutdown order because they were deemed as essential workers.

“Anything that is not directly part of the essential work of fighting coronavirus and the essential work of keeping the city running and the state running…is going to end,” de Blasio said in response to an on-air call from a concerned construction worker.

Construction workers have been raising the alarm about contracting the virus on-site and spreading it to their families. Many have said it is impossible to properly socially distance from co-workers at sites due to confined spaces and a lack of proper personal protective equipment.

On Thursday, a local carpenters union appealed to Governor Cuomo to narrow the definition of essential worker, saying that its members’ lives were at stake because not all construction work was essential.

De Blasio admitted that the issue had been missed early on as the city attempted to get to grips with COVID-19 spreading.

It is understood that public works like infrastructure, transportation projects, and affordable housing will be allowed to continue. Emergency repairs and hospital building construction will also not be affected.

“Luxury condos will not be built until this is over,” the mayor said.” Office buildings are not going to be built.”

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Distract

Are they shutting down the construction on the borough mega jails?! NO. City politicians are releasing more inmates, artificially lowering numbers at Rikers and using the virus as an excuse, like the bail reform is not enough to terrorize law abiding citizens, now we have more infectious jailbirds out on the streets.

3
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.