You are reading

City to Create “Open Boulevards” Restaurant Corridors Along Ditmars Boulevard and Woodside Avenue

Outdoor dining on Ditmars Boulevard (DOT)

May 12, 2021 By Allie Griffin

The city is expanding last year’s outdoor street dining initiative into a new program called “Open Boulevards” which will create multi-block restaurant street seating, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.

The program will create extra space for diners on roadways along 10 restaurant-heavy corridors across the city, including two in Queens, over the coming weeks.

“Open Boulevards takes the concept of Open Streets and supercharges it,” de Blasio said during a morning press conference. “Multiple blocks in a row filled with restaurants, with performances, with community activities.”

Ditmars Boulevard, from 33rd Street to 36th Street, in Astoria will be transformed into an Open Boulevard on Fridays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Woodside Avenue, from 76th Street to 78th Street, in Elmhurst will be transformed into an Open Boulevard on Saturdays and Sundays from 12 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards called into the mayor’s press conference to commend the new Open Boulevards and pushed for more in the borough.

“I’m very excited about what we will see happening on Ditmars Boulevard and Woodside Avenue,” Richards said. “Mr. Mayor, you know, I always like to push the button on more, so I look forward to hearing more announcements eventually for Southeast Queens, for Forest Hills and other neighborhoods as well.”

The streets will be closed to vehicular traffic during the designated hours when they are transformed into outdoor dining areas.

Both streets have been part of the city’s Open Streets: Open Restaurants program since last summer.

De Blasio provided few details as to how the “Open Boulevards” program is different from the Open Restaurants program.

He did say, however, that Open Boulevards will feature cultural activities, community-based programming, landscaping and other beautification measures and art installations in addition to restaurant seating.

The city will mark Open Boulevards with branded banners and gateways at entrances and also provide seating for the public.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
Kevin

This is a complete disgrace to our home and town. This is the reason that so many people are moving out and the state lost two seats.

Reply
???

Where is the Sausage & Pepper stand? Make it like the San Genarro Festival if your going to ruin Sundays for cars. Also include a booth selling cool refrigerator magnets.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.