You are reading

Block of Stores to be Demolished to Make Way for Target, Marshalls Coming to 31st Street

Demolition

April 6, 2018 By Christian Murray

A number of stores by the Ditmars Boulevard station will be demolished in order for a new building to go up that will house Target.

The stores to be bulldozed are located in a two-story brick building on 31st Street–between 23rd Avenue and Ditmars Boulevard–and include Subway, Kapil bodega, a closed nail salon, a shuttered lunch venue, Cohen’s Optical, a law firm and The Rock Health & Fitness Club, according to a spokesperson for Alex Adjmi, the owner of the Manhattan-based A&H Acquisitions, who is the managing partner behind the development.

A new building will be constructed on the site that will be occupied by Target, which will be taking up 47,000 square feet, and one other yet-to-be-named store. For Target, this will be its third small-format store in Queens and it will offer household essentials, including home decor, apparel and accessories, and beauty supplies.

The existing building that will be demolished incorporates the addresses of 22-11 through to 22-25 31st Street. The spokesperson for Adjmi was unable to provide a timeline as to the new development. No building permits have been filed.

Earlier this week, however, Target announced that it planned to open at that location in 2022.

The developers of the site are also behind the new commercial building going up across the street at 22-06 31st Street, which was where CVS was located until 2015. Adjmi’s spokesperson said that Marshalls, the discount department store, signed up to be a tenant at the location this week. A health club is also likely to move into the space.

The Rock Health & Fitness Club has been rumored to be the tenant, although that has yet to be confirmed. The owner could not be reached.

email the author: [email protected]

59 Comments

Rita Armstrong

Hey any update on the TJ Max tenant? They have a sign up now for rent, which leads me to believe it won’t go to TJ Max. Also don’t know who could use a space that does not allow for trucks to unload goods. Key Food has spaces for that…

patricia

KEY FOOD must never leave! It is one of the best supermarkets, & a longtime neighborhood staple here, that generations have shopped at! … BTW, I too remember SUSAN TERRY, an elegant store & always a good place to shop for clothes.

Will

That Key Food is t that great. The Best Market by Steinway is beautiful after the remodel. Almost Whole Foods’ish.

Anonymous

Why don’t they lease the giant empty space on Northern Blvd in Woodside where Sports Authority used to be and leave the neighborhood alone?

rosa

I am so glad I moved away from Astoria. The apartments and restaurants are over priced and the neighborhood is far too noisy and dirty for my liking. With these future store openings I am glad I found a more affordable, less commercial and quieter neighborhood nearby.

Me

Well… we just moved to Jackson Heights from Ditmars. But this makes me sad. No one likes Target in NYC. Mom and Pop stores are much better. Astoria will loose it’s charm.

Jon

I remember Astoria in the Good Old Days. Now its noisy and over populated with lots of traffic and inpatient people. Target, Marshalls, Whole Foods coming to this Ditmars area, and that new mixed use they are building where ABC stores used to be with apts..Forget about it..you think Ditmars is a nightmare now wait until all these are up and running. =/

Stel Yo

Oh how the the foreign goods and pro-Communist transplants love buying Chinese and hate the American laborer. I guess paying $2,000 for a tiny 1 bedroom leaves no extra dollars to support American made industry.

Trying to sound posh by moving to trendy Astoria & LIC then buying shoes from Target. Make sure you clean them after being stepped all over on your N train because you have no money for a car or any place to park.

Rats in a cage. Keep supporting slave labor and superficially driving up demand in a dense, smog polluted, and noisy district. It’ll be Main Street Flushing in no time.

Bonus tip: Nihao is “hello” in Chinese.

nicoleta

Astoria is just another option in Queens for those that are priced out of LIC. It is a mix of the old and the new. It is for people that do not mind the crowds, noise/pollution (from cars, Amtrak, LGA airport, Con Ed Plants, etc) and are fine living in economic and ethnic diversity. Its far from being “trendy.” That’s a term that landlords and developers try to sell in the past. And most people who lived in Astoria for at least a year would agree.

Burt Bees

THE ROCK is taking over the basement in that new construction . Good luck charging 74 dollars to work out IN A BASEMENT .

Key Food is closing , so there will be WHOLE FOODS or TRADER JOES coming in where the ABC Store was … Parking will be a nightmare of course …

I’ve been on Ditmars since SUSAN TERRY Dept. Store was on the corner where TD BANK is now … Times are changing . Just wish theyd leave Ditmars alone. Appreciate the quiet …

Max

What? The entire ABC lot is going to become residential buildings. Information of this popped up online shortly after it closed. If you’re going to spew random stuff get your facts.

vinny

At least its not a medical building that stays vacant for at least 5 yrs now. New residential developments are so much better to tolerate.

taki

At least places like Keyfood on Ditmars caters to neighborhood residents. Hardly anyone drives out of their to shop at Keyfood here. Places like Target and Marshall’s appeal to masses. They will attract in neighborhood residents and beyond. Have you ever been to the Marshalls on Northern Blvd? Its horrible. Its sad what that area is turning into.

kate

I guess CVS will add more food products if that happens for the 1 percent that will refuse to shop at Target if Keyfood closes as a result.

stacy

I wish they were open today in time for my Easter. I hate having to travel to College Point to shop.

Pedro Munoz

I live in Florida now but I used to leave in LIC 40 years ago and it was very safe I miss it

joe

So many of you complain about the new condos and rentals going up. I would rather live next to a new residential development than what this area is going turn out to be like. Its a damn shame.

Laura

This needs to stop. This is not the place to dump big businesses essentially killing the area. The only supermarket in the area is being demoed and say good bye to all other small shops which are the heart of the hood. The only question we need to be asking is how do we stop Target?

LilMarge

Actually they didn’t mention Keyfood, but if the address is right, it’s gone.

Abdel

Yes, what rich history a KeyFood is! We should salvage all our Key Foods before they become Targets, Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. How can we manage to walk three/four blocks away to another market that delivers for free when you need them to. So a supermarket becomes a (?). It’s been a commercial area for as long as I remember. And you still want to turn this into an Over development Rant????

Anon

Join the other 99% of us that live too far from any store (bodegas don’t count) and have to take public transportation to buy groceries…

sunnysider1975

You can’t stop and you certainly won’t. Those small stores can no longer service in the world today. Their time has LONG passed.

Nancy

Ok, first of all, key food isn’t the only supermarket in the area. Closest to the train, yes. However, walk up Ditmars Blvd and there’s a Trade Fair. Also, Best’s isn’t too far either. If you’re legs don’t work, use the bus or Uber or whatever. Or go to the nearest Bodega. Change is happening whether we like it or not. Are you going to boycott shopping at Target or whatever else that is going to come into the neighborhood? I doubt it. You’re so opposed to it, do something about it instead of asking how do we stop this.

shirley

In the Ditmars area there are 2 other markets in addition to those you mentioned. There is Berry Fresh Farm on Ditmars/43 street and CHERRY VALLEY FARM SUPERMARKET on Ditmars/21 street. People just like to over react as if there will be no place to shop. I am hoping to apply for a position at Target once it opens because I have experience working there and I am glad this will be closer to where I live.

Anonymous

Cherry Valley is on 21st Avenue between 19th and 21st streets.
Are you really an Astoria resident?
Target doesn’t pay well.

fred

Stores are always needed in residential areas. But they should not be large stores but mom and pop stores. Stores where they will serve the community and yet fit into the decor and ambiance

tuza

Other than the few low end household good stores and perhaps the hair/nail salons what “mom and pop stores” are you referring to? There is no place to shop for clothes, shoes or household items on Ditmars. These stores will be filled with people once they open which is a good thing however they will also cause additional quality of life issues including traffic, noise, dirt, etc. I hope they at least do way with all the food trucks in that area and scatter them elsewhere.

Anonymous

There is a household goods store called Home Comforts right between Pizza Palace and Create exactly on Ditmars and 31st St.

brad

That place is so outdated. Also, you can find basically the same things at ABC deals and 99 cents store. At least Target sells some household appliances and not old curtains and oven mittens. They have better slecection for things we use daily like paper towels, cleaning products, beauty items etc. It’s no secret Target has our hearts!!

Astoria Resident

Where would they intend people to park? I personally wouldn’t need to drive there but many will want to and try to.

Old Astorian

I’ve lived in this neighborhood for 20 years, this a all a total drag. Two large corporate chain-stores on that block is going to be a nightmare. Parking in the area is already impossible but I’m sure the overfed, pasty transplants will be excited, they’ll feel like they’re back in Ohio.

T

Marshalls!!? Seriously! I can go to Northern Blvd for that, even then, I don’t bother because that place is a mess and unorganized. Eh at least it’s not another cafe, vape or phone store.

becky

The train station is also under construction and I live around the block. I am so glad my lease is up in June. I’m out of Astoria. I lived here for 5 years and I can not take the noise, crowds and traffic. My boyfriend and I are moving to LIC where it is less commercial, quieter and safer.

Bill de Blowsio

I agree with half of your statement. Let me know how safe LIC is if you move near Ravenswood and Queensbridge.

lio

And who do you think will be flocking to Target and Marshall’s once it opens? Ditmars has enough trash and I guess we have to make way for more once this is built. Most of the crime that I read about is occurring outside of the housing developments in/near Astoria/LIC.

Anonymous

This is happening because of people like you. Go back to where you came from.

sunnysider1975

Mom and pop stores have sucked for years. Their time has passed. Its over folks, deal with it. It can’t survive.

franco

I wish they build these stores somewhere on Steinway or on 20th Ave. The last family oriented and semi quiet area of Astoria will turn into a traffic and pedestrian nightmare. I also heard that a property with a chain of small stores (one of which is the old bakery across the street) was recently sold. These developers see Ditmars as a profit potential area because its the last stop on the train and is known for housing families.