June 20, 2018 By Christian Murray
An Astoria sushi restaurant has been temporarily shut down by the Health Department.
Junko Sushi, located at 33-02 Broadway, was ordered closed on Monday after racking up a number of critical violations.
Violations were for food being stored at incorrect temperatures and evidence of rats and mice.
1) Hot food item not held at or above 140º F.
2) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
3) Evidence of rats or live rats present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
4) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
5) Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.
6) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
Rat poop = black sesame seeds.
Sadly they have reopened with a “Grade Pending”. Eat at your own risk…
Same as Lots-o-Bagels on Broadway. Closed in June by Health Inspection, reopened a few days later with ‘grade pending’ …. Not going back.
So the city can close down a restaurant for rat poop and not being sanitized but our subways (which many of us use everyday) are clean though? Most of these violations could be BS violations but of course the health department has to word it in a way that makes it seem like the most unsanitary thing ever, ex. We found
a speck of rat poop in the corner of the boiler room is worded as Evidence of rats or live rats present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Now I’m not defending this restaurant bc I don’t know what exactly was going on back there but there are alot of these cases and the system needs to change. It’s not right to get a B on your door for stupid stuff and lose customers bc of it.
the city doesn’t run the subway. a state agency does. also, you’re not eating food prepared in the subway, so it’s a bad comparison. so you want to loosen restaurant sanitation standards? good luck getting a constituency for that! is this a disgruntled restaurant owner posting this? they don’t close restaurants for nothing. i’d bet they had a solid case for doing so.
AND…most of food served there is RAW FISH…NO BUENO
JJ ASIAN FUSION
This place in the past hid their rating because they had a C or a B. They have a history.
Exactly! I got food poisoning from this place. It is a health hazard. Why anyone would defend this place is absurd. How many more people need to get sick???
No it is right to get a ‘B and lose customers. If theres rat poo anywhere that is to be known that live rats are present, if they weren’t alive they couldn’t poop, and if there aren’t any more live rats then clean up the poop and do as you should when working with food. It’s very important to know how to work with food and what’s around when food is present. The temperature is very important, its raw food also that’s being served so Yes please close them down to prevent any death or sickness to happen to people that pay for there food! And unless you eat at the subway stations then yea I can understand your concern about the rats there but just because you travel that way and see them isn’t the same as eating food with them around or their poop other.
One “speck” of rat poo is too much rat poo. To state the obvious.
I believe that many other restaurants in steinway should be visited from HD as well because those hukah places shouldn’t serve food. They are very dirty…
I agree! Most food places on steinway shouldn’t be serving food..
Well they get away with smoking so not surprised the city isn’t enforcing the other laws there too
This place is horrible. I hope it remains closed.
Health Department does a Great Job. In the future they should do surprise visits to everyones apartments , cars and Mass transportation so we can have a very clean city.
When they reopen, why don’t you support them? Order up a whole slew of sushi. Bring the family.
I agree. They shouldn’t be allowed to cook food out of grocery stores anyway. That is the worse ever.. this should be absolutely stopped.