You are reading

Applications for Hunters Point South to go out next month, as Community Board 2 gets ready to help applicants

completion-465x348

Sept. 5, 2014 By Christian Murray

The application period for the affordable rental units at Hunters Point South is expected to begin next month and Community Board 2 leaders are in the process of setting up a number of local meetings to guide residents through the application process.

The applicants will be aiming to snag one of the 925 affordable apartments that are expected to be completed early next year.

Community Board 2 residents—who currently live in Sunnyside, Woodside and Long Island City—will be given priority over outside applicants on 50 percent of the units.  Priority will also be given to city employees such as teachers.

The income requirements are broad and tailored more toward middle income earners. For example, units have been set aside for families who make up to $191,000, based on numbers released last year by the Bloomberg administration.

The developer, Related Companies, is expected to send out marketing materials early next month, which will announce the lottery as well as the application deadline.

Once the marketing campaign begins, applicants will have a 60 day window to submit their applications through the NYC Housing Connect website. (click website)

“If the marketing period begins Oct. 1, then applicants have a 60 day window to apply from that date,” said Lisa Deller, the chairwoman of Community Board 2’s Land Use committee.

Community Board 2 Chairman Joe Conley, who helped negotiate the 50% priority for local residents with Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer, wants to make sure that Sunnyside, Woodside and Long Island City residents take advantage of their increased odds. This has been a contributing factor in why the meetings are being held.

A series of meetings have been tentatively scheduled throughout the district. For instance, a meeting has been scheduled in Sunnyside at the Sunnyside Community Services Center (43-31 39th Street) on Sept 29 at 7:00 pm.

Meanwhile, another meeting is scheduled to take place at the Woodside Library, 54-22 Skillman Avenue, on Oct. 1 (time still to be determined); and in Long Island City on Oct. 6 (time and venue yet to be confirmed).

The meetings aim to educate residents on how to apply; what the eligibility requirements are and how the housing lottery works.

“This is a great opportunity for folks who live in our community that want to live on the waterfront,” said Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer. “I’m proud of the role we have played with the community board in getting the set asides for local residents.”

“There is a lot of interest for this,”  Van Bramer said. “We have been getting calls on it even before construction started.”

 

 

 

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.