You are reading

Alternate Side Parking to be Cut to Once a Week in Pilot Starting Monday

(NYC DOT)

June 23, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Alternate side parking rules will be cut to once per week across the entire city for a one-week pilot beginning Monday — in what could well become a permanent change.

The city will cut street cleaning and alternate side parking rules to once a week on streets where they are currently twice or more a week, beginning Monday, June 29, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced this morning.

The city will pilot the cutback for one week and then reassess to see if it is something that can be made permanent.

“This needs to change, so we’re about to make the biggest change in alternate side parking in the last two decades,” de Blasio said, noting he is in favor of making the pilot permanent.

Streets where there are cleaning twice or more a week will only be cleaned on the later day scheduled. For example a Monday, Wednesday street will only be cleaned Wednesday and residents can leave their cars parked on the street Monday.

(City Hall presentation)

De Blasio has repeatedly suspended alternate side parking and street cleaning altogether for weeks at a time during the pandemic. The rules are currently suspended through Sunday.

After next week the city will reevaluate each week whether to suspend alternate parking throughout the summer.

De Blasio said he has been frustrated himself dealing with the alternate side parking rules and trying to find a parking spot.

“It is frustrating. It is difficult, it doesn’t have to be this way,” he said during his daily press briefing this morning. “We have to rethink the whole model.”

He said the rules are unfair and a “super hassle” for people who have to move their cars multiple times a week to avoid a ticket.

The mayor seemed favorable towards cutting back the rules permanently.

“I like it,” he said. “I hope this will prove to be as common sense as I think it is and it’ll be something we can institute long term.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.