You are reading

81-year-old Astoria woman conned out of $3,000

allegedscam

Dec. 8, 2014 By Michael Florio

An 81-year-old Astoria woman was scammed out of $3,000 last Monday, according to police.

The Astoria senior was the victim of two con artists who tricked her out of $3,000 in cash.

The victim was standing in front of her 21st Street apartment at about 8:45 a.m. on Dec. 1 when she was approached by a 35-year-old man and a woman, the police said.

The suspects then told the 81-year-old that they had found a large sum of money and that she would be received $70,000 of it, as long as she could prove to the bank that she had $3,000 in cash.

The senior citizen brought the female suspect to her apartment building and gave her the $3,000, with the suspect promising that they would return with her $70,000, police said. However, she and her accomplice never came back.

The female suspect is described as 5 foot 5 inches tall and 160 pounds, and the male suspect is 6 feet tall and 200 pounds.

The police have released a surveillance video of the female suspect.

Anyone with information in regards to this crime is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477).

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.