March 26, 2018 By Tara Law
A 7-year-old Astoria girl died two days after she accidentally choked herself while playing with a bathrobe tie, police say.
Precise Tucker, who was performing a prank on her mom, tied a belt around her neck and roped the other end around a refrigerator handle while eating a bag of chips around 8 p.m. on Wednesday.
The girl’s mother saw what her daughter was doing but walked into another room and left the child alone, police say. The mother told police that the girl often pretended to be hurt or dead.
Tucker’s 15-year-old brother discovered his sister choking on the chips and ran for help.
Police responded to a 911 call around 8:20 p.m. and found the child unconscious and unresponsive.
An ambulance rushed Tucker to Elmhurst General Hospital, where she died two days later.
A spokesperson from the Medical Examiner’s office said that foul play appears to be unlikely given the office’s initial report.