You are reading

5-Year-Old Boy Struck Dead by Hit-And-Run Driver Near His Home in East Elmhurst Thursday

Jonathan Martinez, pictured, was killed by a hit-and-run driver Thursday afternoon as he attempted to cross 100th Street in East Elmhurst (Photo GoFundMe)

Sept. 2, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A 5-year-old boy was fatally struck by a hit-and-run driver in East Elmhurst Thursday as he attempted to cross a street while holding his father’s hand.

The victim, Jonathan Martinez, was hit by the driver of a pickup truck at around 5:30 p.m. as he attempted to cross 100th Street – near the intersection of McIntosh Street — with his parents and brothers, according to police and published reports.

The driver, who police say was in a white-colored Dodge Ram, was traveling northbound on McIntosh Street before making a sharp turn onto 100th Street and plowing into the young boy. The driver then fled the scene — as Martinez’s family looked on in horror.

The family lived about two blocks away from where the boy was struck.

Martinez suffered severe trauma to his head and torso. He was transported by EMS to NYC Health and Hospital/Elmhurst but could not be saved.

The boy was holding his father’s hand at the time of the deadly incident, CBS New York reported. His father pulled him back as he saw the Dodge turning, but the vehicle struck the boy and dragged him, the news outlet reported.

A GoFundMe page was set up for the family early this morning to raise money to cover funeral costs. It has raised nearly $4,000 so far.

Neighbors say they have been concerned about vehicles speeding along McIntosh Street for some time.

“Some people, they drive so fast,” one resident told CBS. “We need a stop sign… we need a speed bump.”

There have been no arrests and the investigation remains ongoing.

The driver, who police say was in a white-colored Dodge Ram, was traveling northbound on McIntosh Street before making a turn onto 100th Street (Photo: Google Maps)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Who Me

All those progressivists. Ohh”it’s time to progress” all those who agreed to defund the police. Look into the mother of this child’s face and say your as guilty as the truck driver.

Reply
Who Me

Defund they police they said. Well that’s what you get. My prayers go out to this family, could have been any of us.Sad

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.