You are reading

Thieves Targeting Motorcycles, Leads To Spike In Auto Crime

motorcyles-ticketed-250x2501

File Photo

May 25, 2016 By Michael Florio

Auto theft is up sharply in Astoria due to a slew of stolen motorcycles, according to the 114 precinct.

There have been 19 Grand Larceny Auto incidents in the current 28-period, which ends on May 22, compared to 10 during this same period last year. That is an increase of 90 percent.

The majority of these stolen vehicles have been motorcycles, Special Operation Lieutenant Nicholas Morales of the 114th Precinct said at a community meeting Tuesday night.

“It is motorcycle season,” he said.

This issue has plagued the precinct north of Astoria Boulevard, in upper Ditmars, according to Morales.

The thieves will often drive around scouting the neighborhood. After spotting a motorcycle they will return in the middle of the night, quickly throw it in a van and take off, Morales said.

“It can take just two men and only 30 seconds,” he noted.

“Garages and spaces are expensive, but they are worth it,” Morales added.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.