You are reading

New Jersey men convicted of kidnapping Astoria man, torturing him in extortion scheme: Feds

New Jersey men Jarret Bruce (left) of Englewood, Lesly Valentin (middle) of Asbury Park and Aasim Boone (right) of Englewood were convicted of kidnapping and torturing an Astoria man in 2022. Photos courtesy of EDNY

July 15, 2025 By Bill Parry

Three New Jersey men were convicted by a federal jury in Brooklyn on July 10 for a violent kidnapping and extortion attempt in Astoria in 2022.

Aasim Boone, 42, and Jarrett Bruce, 41, both of Englewood, and Lesly Valentin, 39, of Asbury Park, were found guilty of kidnapping conspiracy, transmission of interstate threats with intent to extort and attempted obstruction of justice. The verdict followed a three-week trial, and all three defendants face up to life in prison.

As proven at trial, Boone, Bruce and Valentin conspired to kidnap the Astoria man on Dec. 9, 2022. The victim was abducted outside his Astoria apartment complex. After he was forced into a vehicle at gunpoint, Boone, Bruce and Valentin drove him to New Jersey, where he was subjected to escalating forms of torture and held captive for more than five hours.

During the harrowing ordeal, the three men beat the victim with a gun, poured bleach on him, burned his back and legs with a blowtorch and sliced the victim’s ear with a knife. The Astoria man was finally released on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Several days after the abduction, Valentin sent text messages to the victim, threatening further harm to him and his family if he failed to provide his kidnappers $150,000 in cash and 50 pounds of marijuana. After the scheme was uncovered, Boone attempted to destroy electronic evidence linking him to the commission of the crime.

“This was a heinous crime in which the defendants targeted a victim, abducted him from outside his home, and subjected him to barbaric acts of torture and cruelty, all for financial gain,” U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Joseph Nocella said. “Once their crimes were uncovered, the defendants tried to destroy the evidence. With today’s verdict, the defendants’ efforts to escape accountability have failed and they now face significant punishment.”

The defendants are no strangers to law enforcement and have extensive criminal histories and are believed to have participated in a series of residential burglaries committed by a violent street gang operating out of New Jersey, federal prosecutors said.

Valentin had previously pleaded guilty in New Jersey state court to aggravated assault related to a previous kidnapping.

Nocella thanked the Joint Violent Crimes Task Force, which is comprised of agents from the FBI and NYPD detectives, for their assistance with the investigation.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.