You are reading

Queens Man Who Allegedly Filed $150K in Bogus Unemployment Claims Busted

iStock

Sept. 10, 2021 By Christian Murray

A 21-year-old Far Rockaway man who allegedly filed bogus claims to collect more than $150,000 in unemployment insurance has been indicted on grand larceny charges, the Queens District Attorney’s office announced Thursday.

Keijohn Graham, of Hanson Court in Far Rockaway, allegedly bilked the system by illegally tapping into the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program authorized under the CARES Act. He allegedly filed fraudulent claims using the names of 13 unknown individuals.

Graham, who faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted, was slapped with a 68-count indictment in Queens County Supreme Court charging him with grand larceny, identity theft, falsifying business records, criminal possession of stolen property and filing false documents. He was arraigned Thursday and ordered to return to court Nov. 30.

“This worldwide health pandemic has been devastating and led to millions of Americans losing their jobs. As alleged, this defendant saw this additional support for the needy as an opportunity to fill his own pockets,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “This fraud during the pandemic costs our country, and our state, billions of dollars.”

Graham was arrested back in March after authorities conducted a court-authorized search of his home and seized numerous documents and credit cards, including 13 Dept. of Labor benefit debit cards. The fraud allegedly took place between October 2020 and March 2021.

“We have zero tolerance for thieves,” said NY Department of Labor Commissioner Roberta Reardon. “Stealing from a system that is providing a lifeline to New Yorkers in need is unconscionable and doing it during a public health crisis is unforgivable.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.