You are reading

Man Arrested on Hate Crime Charges for Anti-Gay Attack in LIC

Jonathan Santos, pictured, was arrested Tuesday for an anti-gay attack on a subway train in Long Island City in July (Photo: NYPD)

Sept. 7, 2021 By Michael Dorgan 

A man who allegedly punched two 19-year-old men in an apparent anti-gay attack on a subway train in Long Island City in July has been collared by police.

Jonathan Santos, 33, was arrested Tuesday for the attack – in which he also allegedly struck a woman who tried to stop the beat down.

Santos, who is from Manhattan, has been charged with three counts of assault as hate crimes and two counts of aggravated harassment as hate crimes, police said.

The alleged homophobe approached the two young men on a Jamaica-bound E train on July 31 and hurled anti-gay slurs at them – including “c**k-suckers” and “f***ots” – before punching one of the victims multiple times as the train approached the Court Square station, according to police.

Santos then clobbered the other 19-year-old in the face when the train stopped at the Court Square station at around 3:30 a.m., police said.

The woman, 32, then attempted to intervene but she was sucker-punched by Santos as the train took off, cops said.

All of the victims fled the train when it stopped at the Queens Plaza subway station – the next stop on the route – while Santos remained on the train.

All three victims suffered pain and swelling to the face, with the Good Samaritan also suffering a fractured tooth.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.

Halletts Point esplanade in Astoria opens, reconnecting community to East River waterfront

Aug. 22, 2025 By Bill Parry

When The Durst Organization broke ground on its massive Halletts Point project in Astoria on a cold winter day in January 2016, the speeches were delivered inside a massive brick warehouse that had cut off public access to a stretch of East River waterfront for generations. That warehouse is long gone, demolished and then replaced by two high-rise residential towers, 20 and 30 Halletts Point, which launched leasing earlier this year, and a 58,000-square-foot waterfront esplanade that opened to the public this month.