September 5, Staff Report
Astoria restaurant Mi Espiguita, known for serving classic Mexican dishes, has been temporarily closed by the Health Department.
The Health Department uncovered several violations, including live roaches and insufficient refrigeration. The restaurant was inspected on Aug. 31.
Mi Espiguita is located at 32-44 31st Street.
The Health Department gave the establishment 77 violation points and listed the following sanitary violations. The first four were listed as critical.
1) Cold food item held above 41Âº F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ÂºF) except during necessary preparation.
2) Food not cooled by an approved method whereby the internal product temperature is reduced from 140Âº F to 70Âº F or less within 2 hours, and from 70Âº F to 41Âº F or less within 4 additional hours.
3) Live roaches present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
4) Insufficient or no refrigerated or hot holding equipment to keep potentially hazardous foods at required temperatures.
5) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.